Blackpool & The Fylde College Opens new ATC
Blackpool and The Fylde College has officially opened its Advanced Technology Centre.
This new facility at the Bispham Campus will deliver the technical and leadership skills required by students to address the skills shortage in the advanced engineering and manufacturing industry.
Blackpool and The Fylde College Principal and Chief Executive, Bev Robinson, said: “I am delighted to celebrate the opening of the Advanced Technology Centre. Our priority, as a leading provider of higher technical and professional skills is to ensure that our students develop the skills that industry need for the UK’s economic prosperity.
Bev Robinson continued: “The centre provides cutting edge learning environments that represents a a centre of excellence for advanced engineering, technology and energy solutions across Lancashire.”
The building was officially opened by Martin Taylor, Managing Director, Combat Air, BAE Systems, who said “It’s an honour to officially open the new Advanced Technology Centre at Blackpool and The Fylde College . This facility is a huge investment in the engineers of the future, providing state-of-the-art technology including industry standard CNC (computerised numerical control) machines, CAD-CAM, industry quality centre lathes, milling machines and so much more! The environment mirrors the industry and helps students to prepare for the world after education.”
The unveiling of the commemorative plaque was carried out by an ABB IRB1600 Articulated robot. The Lab facilitates the use of robotics, Hydraulics and Pneumatics. The lab also supports the integration and training on Allen Bradley PLC control Systems, along with CNC working.
The ATC features:
- Advanced engineering workshops including the latest CNC technology to provide the environment to deliver industry level skills.
- A project zone featuring pneumatics, robotics, electronics and the latest CAD design studio where a design can be sent to manufacture in the same room.
- Research and development centre including purpose built four-wheel drive dyno facility and engine test cells that are used for both aerospace and engineering programmes.
- Automotive workshops that have been designed to provide a working environment in line with market leaders such as AUDI, BMW and Porsche.
- Materials and paint applications workshop to mirror that of the highest industry standards in line with Boeing, Rolls Royce, McLaren.
Over 20,000 students choose Blackpool and The Fylde College annually, of which 6,000 and over 200 employers will benefit from this new facility.